Sunday, May 16, 2010

Butterflies and such...

After much research on how to upload multiple photo's to the blog - and having them stay where I want them, I'm finally back in business. Little did I know I needed a programming degree to write a blog and post pictures within it! Enough said, hopefully I will be able to update at least weekly now....I've missed you little blog!

The Mahoney house has a new project going on - this wonderful Butterfly Pavillion that Patrick picked up at a home show several months ago.  As much as little missy loves the outdoors and finding critters in the yard and during our walks around the block, we thought "why not"?
Photobucket

So, we sent away for the caterpillars and started our "experiment". This has been a great learning experience for everyone in the house! Who knew that a caterpillar literally grows overnight and after a week or so morph into a "chrysallis" (NOT a coccoon).  After a week of the chrysallis hanging still from the inside of the pavillion (how they stay attached to this is beyond me) they burst out into this beautiful butterfuly - simply amazing.  While we didn't actually get to SEE a butterfly-burst, we would find a new butterfly in the pavillion every few hours over the course of 2 days. 
PhotobucketPhotobucket
The pavillion has a place of honor on Elise's bureau, where she moves her pink stool to peer into it about 10 times a day.
Photobucket

Photobucket

In keeping with the butterfly theme, I decided to enjoy Mother's Day this year at the Butterfly House in Faust Park.  I hadn't been inside the Butterfly House since Lane was in, oh, 3rd grade, and I wonder why we don't go more often.  It is, simply stated, breathtaking!
Photobucket
Photobucket

But, beware, it is as hot and humid inside as it is outdoors in St. Louis on a hot July afternoon - although well worth the frizzy hair and sweaty bra.  Lane commented that she was glad she hadn't bothered to straighten her hair that morning...ME too.
Photobucket

After the fun of walking through the butterfly house, we headed over to the huge playground in the park and then finally, the Carousel.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Just hangin' out

The Carousel at Faust Park was created and built in the 1920's and has had several homes over the years in various parks around St. Louis - reaching it's current home at Faust Park in 1987 (I had to look that up). While I had fun playing with the camera to try and take pictures, Patrick, Lane and Elise enjoyed a ride.

The Carousel

Photobucket

Lane

To close out this great big post - I finally finished the "mama blanket" as Elise refers to it. Her blanket that I made! Now off to work on the "mama blanket" for Lane.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you - go ahead, make my day - leave a comment!

Related Posts with Thumbnails