Tuesday, July 20, 2010

What's Old Is New

There are many moments in my childhood that bring a warm feeling and smile to my face, moments that include playing in cardboard boxes leftover from a new washer or refrigerator with my big brother Ron, swinging on my friend Amy's tire swing, riding my bike from morning until dusk through our neighborhood - stopping only briefly for lunch and dinner breaks. Long gone are most of the toys, swings and old bikes from that time...having made way for stereo systems, vanity mirrors and tennis rackets as we moved into our teenage years - as it should be. But there are the rare items that survived, not only my rough and tumble childhood, but many others as well.

This is the doll bed that was made for my Mom (or maybe one of her sisters, the story isn't quite clear) by my Grandpa Dermont "Derby" Thomure. He made the little doll bed and dresser (not shown), which have been passed down to all children, grandchildren, possibly a few cousins and friends since being made with wood scraps so long ago. And to my knowledge, they have not been repaired - with the exception of a new coat of paint here and there - since he made them.

doll bed

My Mom made the little blanket and pillow set from an old pink comforter set that was MINE as a little girl. This makes me smile - to know that something has been handed down the line Thomure, Gibson, Martin, Hough, Kirnbauer girls for so many years...was played with when Lane was little girl and that it is now a fixture in the little Mahoney girl room. It's a bit rough around the edges...needing a new coat of paint for sure, but I think prying it away from little missy for a few days may prove to be quite the task.

doll bed

doll bed

Along with the bed and dresser, my Mom had 3 baby dolls that were Lane's and the tiniest little diaper bag full of those baby doll necessities....all long forgotten over at Grandma's from Lane's baby doll playing days.

dolls

dolls

We are so lucky to have this family heirloom back for a time, knowing that it will be stored once again down the road, only to be dusted off - probably painted too - for other little girls yet to be born.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you - go ahead, make my day - leave a comment!

Related Posts with Thumbnails